Thursday, November 29, 2007

Fez!


It’s official, I am Peace Corps Volunteer. I spent the last week in Fez to swear in as a Volunteer which of course was great. It was great to be in a big city for a few days. The medina there is amazing, the oldest and largest in the world I believe. We somehow found our way to the tanneries in the medina and of coursed managed to get lost for a while afterwards. It was all very good though, we tried to go out and enjoy the city. It was great to just roam around and feel the pace of the environment. It was also good to have McDonanald’s… yeah, I went there and it was damn good. I also went to Marjan (a chain of stores only in very large towns in Morocco). I experienced just a little culture shock when I walked in there… it’s huge, and you can get everything there, it’s a giant supermarket meets Walmart. I suppose Fez was really a good break from everything, for a second I almost felt like I had left Morocco, you know minus the constant catcalls and all.
The bad thing about swearing in was simply saying good bye to everyone. We were a group of 67 in Fez, no I’m down to a group of 1, me. Well, not exactly since I do have two site mates who are really cool. I am currently in Rich, I’ll travel to my town tomorrow morning. Finally, I can unpack my bags and call a place home. I’m very happy to be done with hauling it all around but it comes with the sadness of no longer being in training with my friends. So it goes.
Thanksgiving was great the other trainees made us a fabulous meal. We were all very impressed; everything from turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and green beans to apple crisp and pumpkin pie. It was cold and rainy in Fez the whole time we were there which just made it feel all the more like it was really Thanksgiving… or fall or winter or whatever.
So I stayed in Errachidia last night, when we arrived there it was a complete downpour. People say it hasn’t rained there like that in years. It was crazy; just imagine 10 or 15 volunteers getting off this bus right as it’s getting dark, being absolutely soaked from the rain which is just beating down, and then trying to carry all their baggage to the hotel 2 blocks away. I dragged my bags through huge puddles of mud and managed to get soaking wet. I was freezing all night long, this of course didn’t help my efforts to get over my current cold… yup it’s the second one since I’ve been here. It’s definitely pretty cold here and apparently it has already begun to snow at my site. Brrrrr.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Baltazar said...

Found you on play.blogger.com I am 76 and never considered going to Morocco.Amazed in Washington DC

Anonymous said...

Hey You! Snow! WTF? I had no idea. Another stereoptype fantasy broken. Congratulations on being official now. You sound like you are doing really, really well. And just to remind you- you aren't missing anything around these parts. Except my brother is throwing a an ugly christmas sweater party next week. (He already knows gobbs of people- go figure) All in all - it's all the same. Went to Bambu tonight though. Finally. I was thinkin of you.

Sending you love...
(PS. The "blogger only" thing is back)

S'cott said...

Neat post...sounds cold, and wet and, well, like HERE except it sounds like the shopping is better there. McDonalds???? Do they still use transfat there? Here they're replaced the transfat with some sort of silicon-based additive. Yummy good.

And question: what IS the official hat of the city of Fez?

Actually, getting out of the bus, as you describe, sounds like an episode of M*A*S*H. Good reading and I miss ya. Get over that cold and be warm...

Congrats on being official!!!!

Sc

Anonymous said...

Hey Linsey - I never thought Morocco would be cold! We had a big wind and rain storm yesterday. I nearly got blown off my feet just trying to get from my car to the office door. Then today is mild and sunny. I guess I thought Morocco would be hot and dry all the time.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas which of course they don't celebrate there but hopefully you will find a way to feel connected with your heritage while experiencing that very different culture.

hugs, Linda S.

PS Don't name any teddy bears (ask if you don't know about this)