Friday, November 2, 2007
















The camera is up and running again... so, if everything works accordingly:
The first picture of the map has push pins with each of us trainee's pictures on them. This is how we found out our location for the next 2 years.
The next one is me with my training group in Hdida. My teacher is the woman in front with the skirt on.
Next is a picture of my trainig group again, inside our artist's association with their new sign we made for them.
Next is our classroom in Hdida, yeah we're freezing, and yeah that's me and Briana under a blanket because we can see our breath.
Finally, our lovely Halloween picture, that's Briana, me, Kristian and Blake... we were all kitties with booties (it's a long story and honestly a stupid inside joke) but hey we had fun:)
So, two weeks later…I’m currently back in my luxurious life in Ouarzazate. However, I leave tomorrow for my first site visit to where I will be living for the next 2 years.
First a recap on my last 2 weeks… and some dirty details. I showered once in 12 days. Here’s the problem, it’s either ice cold bucket baths or nothing. I’m sure in due time I will get use to the bucket bathing system but for now it’s definitely difficult. Another dirty detail, my stomach just keeps going to the dark side. I don’t know if it’s the excessive amount of bread I eat (because really that’s all they eat here) or the vast amount of oil that everything sits. Regardless I’m trying to tell myself that in a couple more months I can make my own food and solve a lot of my g.i. problems. Oh yeah, and to top it all off, I’ve been sick for the past 2 weeks. Really it’s just a cold but colds are never really fun. I’m going to make an educated guess and say that maybe the reason why I’ve been sick is because my classroom stays at about 48 to 50 degrees all day. While that may not sound too cold, when you are sitting for 10 hours a day in it wrapped in blankets and every article of clothing you own, you know it’s cold. For this reason I hope I get a mud house at my site, my current classroom is made of cement which is supposed to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, mud houses are the opposite. Who knew I’d ever ask for a mud house?
Anyway, we are almost done with training, my group has more of less finished our project and when we return to our training site in 2 weeks it will only be for 4 days. Kind of crazy when things are suddenly coming to a very quick end with group activities. It’s scary because of the language also. I try hard but this language is ridiculously difficult. And little by little I hope to understand more of it.
So, we’re here in Ouarzazate again, we got here on Halloween which meant me and couple others went “out” and then came back to the hotel for a little Peace Corps party. Needless to say we had a good time, definitely not my craziest Halloween but it was good.
Drum roll please, tomorrow I leave for the very small town of Assoul in the middle of nowhere (you might be able to find it on a really big map of Morocco). My nearest town with internet is 3 hours away. I think it’s a dirt road to get from there to Rich, my nearest town for internet. I’m trying to stay positive about my situation even though the one thing I requested for my site placement was to be in or near a large town. It’s ironic that I am the one person in my sector (small business development) that is the furthest from anything. The up side is that I will have a couple other volunteers near me from different sectors (health and environment I think), can’t wait to meet them. Also, I have met the volunteer that I am replacing and am very excited to meet up with her again before she leaves in a couple weeks… of course to talk about all the ins and outs of the community.
Enough for now, I’ll try to post something as soon as I can about my official site.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linsey,

Just thought I'd say hi. You may not read it for a while if your town is so far from the Internet but I'm thinking about you.

I had no idea it would be cold in Morocco. I thought you would be basking in warmth while we here in Oregon get cold, wet feet . . .

Sorry to hear that you've been sick. I imagine that all the changes and stresses of adjusting have thrown your system way out of whack. Hopefully that will get better soon.

I doing well here, really busy. The weather has alternated rain and wind with fine autumn days of sunlight on red maple leaves. Can't believe that the "holidays" are barreling toward us. It will be interesting to see what you do with celebrating the holidays in a country that doesn't celebrate them. I see that you managed to do Halloween up right!

Anyway, you take care of yourself.

hugs,
linda s.

Unknown said...

Hi, Lins, This is dad. Just wanted to let you know we all read with great interest your blog. Sounds like the weather is not exactly what you were expecting and hope it changes. Everyone here is fine and look forward to having you over when your tour is up. Stephen has soloed three times and is working on studying for the written part of the exam. It seems he can fly better than he can drive because he just got in his third accident and totaled the accord. We are going to Prescott Az. to check out Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Flight University around Christmas time. It is the only career he seems to be interested in. Mary is still working and I'm still volunteering at habitat. Hope things go the way you want them, sincerely with love Dad

Anonymous said...

Ciao Linsey, enjoy hearing about your adventures/the country. Will send you warm clothes when your address is available. Don't forget a xmas list too. My Mexican Riveria cruise was great, some places I'd go back to & some not. Looking forward to xmas in Maui, but wish you were going to be there too. I'm loving the hot hot weather for the first time! Miss u so very very much, but am also so very proud of you and your tanasity (sp) Love you so much, Mamacita

Anonymous said...

GOOD MORNING I HAVE JUST SEEN YOUR SO SPLENDID BLOG ESPECIALLY THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF MY VILLAGE C POSSIBLE TO TAKE CONTACT WITH YOU THANK YOU MY MAIL: Azsaid2003@yahoo.fr