Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Back in Ouarzazate for a couple more days. It’s always nice to come back here. We just returned from 4 days in Hdida which was actually really good. Saturday, the 13th was the L3id, a big celebration for the end of Ramadan. We all got dressed up… my family adorned me in a giant dress with a wonderful 80’s style print… the shoulder pads were the best part. Then a huge piece of black lace fabric went on over the dress. To top it off I had to wear a lovely neon yellow scarf in my hair. We all looked pretty ridiculous as our families dressed each of us in a similar fashion. Oh, and the big news is that my 13 year old host sister decided I was cool enough to hang out with. I guess she finally decided I wasn’t such a threat after all. I currently don’t have any pics because my camera has been out of service but I will eventually get them from some of my friends and post them. Anyway, for the big celebration we got dressed up, I got henna done again (which I am obsessed with, by the way) and walked through town, going to each house and greeting everyone. I think I kissed more people’s hands that day than I ever have (as is the tradition… it’s a little more friendly than just shaking hands). Anyway, we ate lots of rice with buttermilk, cookies and tea. That evening I had my first tagine with my family, by 2am my stomach was in hell- enough said.

The following day we had a free day to integrate with our community (this was also the first time since I‘ve have been in Morocco that I have had 2 days off in a row). I went to the Hammam in a near by town with a couple other trainees and their host sisters. A Hammam is a public bathhouse which includes 3 steam rooms of varying temperature. I was a little worried about going but it was actually a really good experience… and my skin still feels amazing. The only problem was that the one we went to was a little on the dirty side… with that said I would definitely do it again but in a cleaner place. I must say there is something absolutely wonderful about being in the hottest steam room and pouring a bucket of cold water over you… it feels soooo good.

So, in a couple days I leave for Hdida again, this time for 12 days which is our longest time period we will spend there. It’s a little weird to pack and unpack your life every couple of days. When I return from my 12 days in Hdida I will find out my official site for the next 2 years. I will then go to this site the next day and live with my future host family for 9 days. It’s crazy to think that I will know my location for the next two years in exactly 2 weeks. Once we return from our site visit we come back to Ouarzazate and then return to Hdida for the last time for 4 days or so. We will then presumably being traveling up north to Fez for our official swearing in, and thanksgivingJ. So, there’s the crazy schedule. My class/lecture days are significantly longer now that Ramadan is finished, we start at 8am and go until 6pm. We do have breaks but it’s still a long day. Sometimes I feel like there’s so much information being shoved in my head I just cant think anymore. But really it’s ok, I mean it’s good and the language is getting better. At least now I have basic communication down and I can generally understand what my family members are trying to say to me.

And perhaps as my final point I should add that after being here for a little over 5 weeks I now feel like it’s all so much more comfortable. What I mean to say is that I have been having a great time here since the beginning (for the majority of the time)… but now it all just feels a lot more comfortable, like I can actually see myself here for 2 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you and that all is well. Will check on the computer stuff when I get home. Nothing new here- Ciao for now :-) sending lots of love your way, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh the outfit description is awesome. Can I be you for Halloween? (thank God your host family doesn't read my replies.)
Matt celebrated the afternoon yeasterday by adding stickers to his butt and pretending there was an opening through the lotus while posing for imaginary cameras. Julia refuses to laugh and encourage him. Cracks me up! Ah - think of everything you are missing in your new home. I mean you could be bored to tears and racing UPS. I definitely think you chose wisely. And now my brother has moved here and started learning the ropes at the warehouse. Yeah. I know. He really does exhist. Go figure huh.
I told the gang about yoru blog so hopefully they will pop in if they haven't already been doing so.
Long live shoulder pads!