Sunday, December 9, 2007


Currently, I am learning how to waste a lot of time. No, I mean it… the women I’m working with are meeting twice a week which means I have a lot of time to fill. I spend a lot of time at my family’s house reading and trying to learn more of the language, and in the mornings I generally go on 2 to 3 hour walks. I currently have blisters on my feet from walking too much, which should mean that I’m walking less but I’m not. I just try to tough it out and hope that eventually I’ll get tough skin like the Moroccan womenJ Anyway, I’m pretty much just settling into a simple life here. I’m trying to figure out ways to use my time and be productive but there’s a lot of time and space to fill out here. I mean the town is beautiful but there’s only so much exploring of bare land you can do each day. And general conversation with the locals is still difficult at best, I have a lot of work to do on the language and I’m not really sure how to do it. I guess something will just come in time.
Well, not really much to report simply because there isn’t a lot going on. Just adjusting to my new life and trying to imagine the next 2 years. Also imagining what it will be like to live in my own place here in 2 months. I mean I really enjoy the family I’m staying with but it will be nice to be at my own place too come February 1st. Anyway, I don’t think I’ll have internet again until after Christmas, so Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it. It should be an interesting day for me, not only will I be apart from my family for the first time but I guess I won’t be celebrating the holiday at all this year. Instead I’ll be celebrating L3id Akbar, and slaughtering a sheep around the 23rd of December. Let’s hope I can stomach it in more than one way.

3 comments:

S'cott said...

Great picture! Looks like the Muslim equivalent of The Sound of Music!

Merry Christmas, Linsey! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linsey,

Long time reader, first time caller. I was hoping you would have broadband in your new digs. I look forward to your posts.

I can tell you from experience that slaughtering sheep can be very festive. Not for the sheep, of course. But there is lots of red, and the gallbladder is green, so that is kinda Christmasy.

Ho, ho, ho......

Anonymous said...

(Who are these guys?)
Hey Linsey,
Love this picture of you in the rock. Trying to imagine you wandering about. You probably have some funny nick name you don't know about yet. Wandering Whitey or Blistering Yank? Or better yet, blistering yank wearing the hank! (Ummm....No. Ok fine.) WOw twice a week is not much. That must be so strange. Crazy that the language part has to come first. Guess you have lots of time to digest. I'm imagining you when you get back. You will probably seem so patient and present. No easy way to learn that one I guess.
Let us know when you find out what the locals you! (i'm sure it's something far sweeter than my bashing above.)