Monday, April 14, 2008



Here we have the new bio dome in Assoul, a space invader and a newly tiled kitchen. In other words, the first image is of the new bee keeping cooperative which my former host father has started. It’s pretty exciting to watch this group of people actually working on a small business project to make honey. Then there is Peter, dressed in the lovely space suit as he walked near the boxes or bees. I of course neglected to “suit up” and moments after taking this image I was stung by 2 bees fighting in my hair. My head is a little swollen and sore, but oh well. And last but not least is the picture of me in my newly tiled kitchen, before the counters were rough cement. So, I tiled them… the guys in my town thought it was a little crazy that this American girl was tiling her kitchen by herself. It was 4 days of labor intensive work, and I loved almost every minute of it.
So, that’s what’s been going on around here. The women’s cooperative has been open very rarely, if at all in the past month. This of course is a good and a bad thing- good because I have free time to tile my kitchen- bad because I am bored out of my mind and the women aren’t going to be able to produce any more products to sell.
I did have my first official visitor in Assoul this past week. My good friend Bri from stage came all the way to my town… far off the beaten path. We had a great time hanging out and enjoying some lovely pesto pasta and salad. Of course the pesto came from a package my mother sent me… and let me tell you, those packages are the best (I love you mom!). Anyway, in the midst of Bri’s visit we also had the arrival of spring storm madness. Basically all week it has been so windy you can barely walk outside. Seriously, gale force winds here in the mountains which have been followed by rain and rather cold temperatures in the past two days. Oh Morocco- can’t wait to see what next week will bring.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am from Morocco but I live in Oregon, im also a beekeeper. I never been in Assoul, but I been in most places there. javelot800g@yahoo.fr

Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/atlaslions

Anonymous said...

Hey your kitchen looks great! The work you do for the women's cooperative is good but you are also a role model, showing women (and men too) that women can do non traditional things.

And that pizza looked great too. Glad you got a chance to cut loose and have some serious fun.

Look out for flying insects!
hugs, Linda

Unknown said...

when mexicans talk about american women (never ending cultural fights, these neiborghs), they talk about stereotypical women from the 50s. I always tell them, there are another kind of women in the states. this blog is good proof.