Sunday, March 2, 2008


Main Street in Assoul, also known as "the only paved road in town".

The past week has been about as eventful as you can get here. I went to a training in a town about two hours away from my site last weekend, at another volunteer’s house. Although the training was interesting the excitement revolved around the rain. It rained last week, and in even though I’m out in the mountains, rain is very rare. It rained on and off all last week, which was absolutely beautiful… something about dark grey clouds really helps to soften the harsh terrain of Morocco. The only problem is that houses and bridges in Morocco aren’t really designed to handle the rain. The first problem was trying to get out of the town I had the training in. The nearby river flooded and no one could cross the river to get out of town. Transit vans, and trucks all stood by as the water gushed over the bridge. By the second day the water level had gone down slightly so we decided to hop in a transit van and get out of town. We drove through probably three feet of moving water on a bridge. It was a little scary but I was laughing the whole way across the river. Later that day I got back to my town to find a very wet ceiling. Although there was no water damage in my house it was quite evident that had there been any more rain it would have been a problem. My site mate’s house on the other hand was far worse… water leaking in from everywhere.
The rain has stopped now. My ceiling is almost dry, and we’ve been enjoying several days of a much warmer sun. It is still quite cool, but sitting out in the sun in the afternoon is almost perfect (I only have to wear two or three shirts). So, that’s the big excitement here… the weather. Haha. The two little peach trees in my garden have started to bloom, proving that spring is right around the corner after a very long and cold winter. I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like to be warm without wearing five layers of clothes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linsey, Glad to hear that you are getting some tree blossoms. We've got some crocus and daffodils but no trees blooming yet. It really makes a big difference in mood to see those flowers! We had one day of warmer weather this weekend so it's not far away now.

Your house is so amazingly uncluttered and simple. I didn't recognize the kitchen though. It doesn't much resemble the ones here. What do you cook on? I didn't see a stove? Or a frig for that matter either. You may have mentioned them in a past post and I forgot. I do remember the butchering process, lol.

Anyway, take care and we well!
Linda

Anonymous said...

hi linsey my name is nabil im originaly from assoul, i was born and grow up in rabat, now i live in oklahoma state usa.
its amazing that you are living in assoul and surviving the weather and the isolation of the place over there.
i hope you are having a gr8 time this summer in assoul.
i would love to know why did you chose assoul, and what do you like over there.
thanks,
good luck

Anonymous said...

if you would like to answer me please feel free, at kewell_na@hotmail.com
thanks.